Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Odds and Ends

Christopher Reeve Foundation

A little while back I bought a pair of Superman tags from the Christopher Reeve Foundation. The "proceeds" (I assume some amount less than the cost) go to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. The set cost just ten dollars and, believe me, I've spent more money on less worthy things.

When Christopher Reeve died last year, I admit that I was shocked. I was never a Christopher Reeve fan, though I did like him as Superman, even if only two of the movies were passable (and I don't care about any comic book fans who were crying after seeing footage from Superman Begins, I think there are going to be more things wrong with that movie than right). However, you had to admire his strength after his paralysis and I never doubted that he was going to walk again; if anyone was going to, it was going to be him. That he died the way he did, of a systemic infection, is really ironic since compared to someone like Terri Schiavo, Christopher Reeve was tap dancing in five shows a day.

Anyway, if you've the money, buy yourself a set of Superman tags. If nothing else, they are very clangy. By the way, if you go to the Christopher Reeve Website you'll find a page of people wearing their Superman tag. If you've been wondering what's happened to Joe Piscopo, scroll on down the page and you'll see a picture of the man, taking a break from his maitre d' job, to model his.

Fantastic Four movie

I'm not wanting to push a point, but the critically lambasted Fantastic Four came in third this past weekend for a total of over $118 million so far. Not that it matters, but for some reason I am very satisifed that a movie that the critics so disliked has been embraced by the public.

V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta is the next comic book based movie coming out. Like all the movies based on his work, Alan Moore has disavowed any association with the film, but the trailer looks pretty good, though I am worried that nervous studio heads in America may want to change the release date because of the recent bombings in London. At least one London based fan has given his opinion on the matter and says the film should be released as it was scheduled.


Lego Star Wars

Finally finished it and, good news, it looks like a sequel is on the way. At least that's the implication of the "secret level" that's unlocked after the whole game is completed. Since I don't have my computer connected to my television, I can't take a screen capture of the characters running around with their Frito Bandito mustaches. I did take one of the the demo when I ran it on my computer. Here's the gang from Episode I in a homage to the Three Stooges.

And here, we see Obi-Wan (on the left) on the road to becoming a great warrior.
(All images © the respective owners)


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I just wanted to announce that, unlike every other blogger, I haven't finished the latest Harry Potter novel. I haven't started it and probably never will. However, I am now into the pile of books I bought in 2001. Used biography of P.T. Barnum, here I come.