Saturday, July 23, 2005

Essential Movie Viewing

On TCM' s series, "The Essentials," the movie being featured this week is Orson Welles's adaptation of Booth Tarkington's novel, The Magnificent Ambersons. It may been seen at 7:00 PM (CST) Saturday with a repeat at 5:00 PM Sunday.

I cannot say enough good things about this movie, though I will admit that it may take a viewing or two to recognize what you have just seen with regard to story and cinematography. It is actually one of those movies that would be better served by viewing in a theatre. (Well, in my opinion, all movies are better viewed in a theatre.) To truly appreciate Ambersons, I think you have to allow yourself to be pulled into the story and for that there must be no distractions; this is not a modern movie made for an audience used to sound bites, quick cuts, and seven minute acts before commercial.

I have some things to say about this movie, but time is running short. Go watch it and I'll post more on it later.