Monday, October 22, 2007

OML for September, Part 3

Man, my October shipment should be on its way next week and I don't think I've read half of September's shipment. I guess I could blame my new job with the required hour-and-a-half drive, one way, and the necessity of getting out of the house before 5:00 A.M., as the culprit eating into my time. The real culprit is, however, Xbox 360 and the golden age of games in which we now have the honor of enjoying. Within the last six weeks, Bioshock, Halo 3, and The Orange Box were all released, so I have little time for television let alone readong. Actually, I do have time for reading as the baby doesn't feel her day is complete unless she is read a good dozen or so books a night and she has reached a stage, at 10 months, where she just isn't content to lay next to me while I read comics outloud to her.

Anyway, here's the beginning of September's Category B comics and here's an explanation of how I categorize and read my comics, for those who haven't read it yet. I'm really going to try to rein-in the feeling that I should comment on every comic I read, if only to speed up the posting process.

Category B
PS238 #25
I really enjoy this comic and it should be much lower in the pile, but it has occasionally really tugged at my heartstrings and if I'm going to tear up, I'd rather do it earlier than later. For those who don't know, PS238 is about a public school for the super-powered (generally) children of super-heroes and a few super-villains. The children are the primary protagonists, but the school's staff, comprised of retired super-heroes, plays a role, too. In this issue, Aaron Williams, the writer/artist brings together a few plots that he has been presenting for a while now, the culminating event an alien invasion. Reading the comic, you get the feeling that everything is going to tie up nicely because this is the twenty-fifth issue, mainly because that is the rhythm of mainstream comics. However, the invasion isn't stopped, and like a Marvel comic written at the company's creative height in the mid-1960s, you want to come back to find out what comes next. By the way, this is an excellent all-ages comic, the plot and action neither too slow nor overflowing as to alienate child or adult. In fact, I think a new reader could pick up the latest issue and be able to dive right in without missing a beat. However, that is only possible if that new reader is willing to set aside any notions that a comic is inacessible after the second issue.